• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Ripping question. SOTW and in general.

#1 User is offline   Auburn Icon

• Icon
Group:
Members

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hello, I would like to have a question answered about the SOTW competitions at Planet Renders. Please look over each scenario and tell me if you would allow it to go into a SOTW competition, only do this if you have time to kill.

Scenario One: Someone follows a tutorial, and enters a tag that the have made. They learn in the process, and are looking to friendlily compete. Both tags look nothing alike. Legal or illegal? Is that called ripping?

Scenario Two: Someone first just sees a sexy tag. He decide to challenge themselves and try to recreate it using their own methods, but the same render. In the end, both tags have the same structure except it is clearly visible that it was not ripped or traced in any way, it although has some visible similarities. Legal or illegal? Is that called ripping?

Scenario Three: Someone first sees a sexy tag again. He decides to challenge himself by trying to recreate it. He tries a few times, maybe 4 or 5. In the end he does not know how to get the effects going around the render, so he looks at the tutorial for just that one step. He then doesn't look at it again, and tries 3 more times to recreate the tag by himself. In the end, his sig looks strikingly similar to the other signature, though it is clearly different that it was not ripped, and they don't have any of the same effects, just the same layout. Legal/Illegal, and is it ripping?

#2 User is offline   Corruption Icon

• Spammer
  • Icon
Group:

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

Maybe you should ask the folks over at PR then.

You are saying in the end they aren't ripped even if they have similarities or strikingly the same similarities. So in the end, they would be all legal, non-ripped tags.

Now of course, words are words. When I look at a rip case, I need the visuals.
Posted Image

I got 99 problems and they all bitches

#3 User is offline   PhazE Icon

• [ i n s o m n i u m ]
  • Icon
Group:
Elite Member

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

None of those are ripping in the sense that someone is actually stealing someone's work, making slight changes, and putting their name on it. They could be called concept rips though, which are almost never dealt with severely as long as the person recreating the work cites their sources.

As for allowing them in a competition, I personally would judge it on a case by case basis. Chances are if they were pretty similar I wouldn't let them in a major competition, especially one with prizes, but a SotW for fun I may or may not allow, again depending on the case.

I've also seen claimed concept rips that were in fact direct rips with changes made, so in certain cases you may need to see a psd as proof that they did the work themselves.

#4 User is offline   Angelo Icon

• FUCK TWILIGHT
  • Icon
Group:
Elite Member
Interests:
French people.

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

I think PhazE covered it quite well. You can't call any of those things ripping but still, 'concept ripping' fits it quite well. I think the idea of SOTW is to put your own imagination into it, so I don't understand why you'd use something like you described in any competition; ruins the point.
Spo0t

<3

#5 User is offline   union-jack Icon

• - MADE IN THE U.K.-
  • Icon
Group:
Admin
Interests:
havng meaningful midnight chats with mr jack daniels and mr jim beam

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

...but if a tutorial was followed i see no problem. Tutorials are made available as a learning tool. Layouts may indeed be very similar if the person is following said tutorial by the letter and using the very same renders etc, but there is no way that the person can recreate the exact same effects applied. If effects are very similar or show only subtle differences then i would be suspicious of a rip or some degree.

Visual evidence is the only way to really make a decision, if you have issues on another site i dont mind helping out if there is a true rip case, but we will need to see some sigs before anything else can happen.

uj.gif

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Freak Icon

• Domination
  • Icon
Group:
Admin
Interests:
Graphic Design

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Someone over there took a tutorial I made, followed it exactly using the same stock and put it in a psd pack. The staff over there said it was ok, and let it slide. It looked almost identical to my tag, and he was putting it in his pack like he had the idea first and created the effects that I used. It pissed me off, but there was nothing I could do because "he made it himself". When something like that happens, initially I get upset. After a while I feel flattered that someone liked my work so much that they lost their creative focus because they saw how much better my work is than theirs.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   aceofspades Icon

• Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
  • Icon
Group:
Elite Member
Interests:
hockey<br />music<br />guys<br />etc.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Freak @ Dec 25 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a while I feel flattered that someone liked my work so much that they lost their creative focus because they saw how much better my work is than theirs.

= win.
Newest:

Posted Image

Favorite:

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users